Posted by REM Cycle Staff
Good morning, and welcome to your first Wake-Up Call of 2018! As you know, we have been publishing every other Tuesday since 2016. This year, the REM Cycle staff has resolved to bring you tax tidbits from a variety of sources on alternate Tuesdays. We promise to keep things fresh and lively to get you going in the morning.
- Let’s kick off our first wake-up call with a recent interview with President Trump regarding his knowledge of taxes: Trump brags he knows taxes “better than the greatest CPA” [Accounting Today]
- Do you have rich and super-rich clients? According Russ Alan Prince at Forbes, you’re in for a very profitable year…if you really hustle: Accountants with rich and super-rich clients should have a sensational 2018 [Forbes]
- Are you a taxpayer (of course you are)? CBS News has a ten-point plan so you can be ready for filing your taxes accurately and on time: 10 ways to get a jump-start on your taxes [CBS News]
- At last, some good news for individual taxpayers…if your kids attend private schools: The 529 Plan change that could help families save on education and taxes [Forbes]
- New York, as one of the highest state and local tax (SALT)-paying states in the nation, has a pressing need to challenge the new tax law, particularly its $10K cap on SALT deductions. According to the Huffington Post, there is a legal basis to challenge the new law: Why there exists a legal basis to challenge the GOP tax law [Huffington Post]
- Feeling sluggish this morning? Maybe you could use a nice latte, with the milk poured into the espresso perfectly and a festive design in the foam. Or… you could enjoy a layered latte. The science behind the layered latte (double-diffusive convection, if you must know) is the same process that creates layers of water in the ocean. But don’t trust a tax blog to give you the details; read all about it here: How layers in a latte form [New York Times]
That’s it for this week. Did you like your first wake-up call? Leave us a shout-out in the comment section below and let us know what you think.
Have a tip for an article you’d like to see linked here? Please forward it to REMCycle@rem-co.com.